International Travel to Glasgow
No matter how you travel to Glasgow, you will need to stay over on the Friday evening of the ADD DATE as our meetup is on Saturday ADD DATE at 07.30am at Glasgow Queen Street Station. For those of you traveling internationally, we recommend that you fly directly into Glasgow Airport (code GLA), you may wish to arrive even earlier to get acclimatized, get over jetlag or explore the city.
On arrival to Glasgow International, you can take a bus or taxi into the city center. We recommend staying in the George Square area which is within walking distance to Queen Street Station. (We will provide you with recommendations for local places to stay after booking.)
Travel details from Glasgow to the Isle of Eigg on Saturday 8th June
While you are welcome to make your own travel plans and arrive on Eigg before the beginning of the retreat. We will provide recommendations for nearby places to stay for the Friday evening. You are required to purchase your own train ticket (we will provide the train booking website after booking) and ferry tickets can be purchased on the day before boarding the ferry.
Group meeting arrangements for Saturday 8th June 2019:
- Group meeting time at Glasgow Queen Street Station: 07.30am
- Train Leaves Glasgow Queen Street: 08.21am
- Train arrives at Mallaig: 13.34pm
- Ferry departs Mallaig: 14.25pm
- Arrives at the Isle of Eigg: 15.40pm
How do I get Back to Glasgow After the Retreat is Finished?
If you wish to immediately travel back to Glasgow after the Retreat the departure day is Saturday 15th June. The timings of this journey if you are wishing to travel back to Glasgow is: Ferry departs Eigg: 16.25
- Ferry arrives Mallaig: 17.40
- Train departs Mallaig: 18.50
- Train arrives at Queen Street Station, Glasgow: 00.14
Retreat participants are required to have a basic fitness level. You should be able to walk at a comfortable pace for maximum two hours on a road surface and over slightly rough terrain as well as a few upwards hills. The itinerary covers one moderately strenuous hike for three hours over upward moorland terrain, we will take frequent breaks. Please get in touch via the contact page if you would like further clarification on fitness level.
Scottish Weather and What to Pack
Scottish weather is known for it changeable attitude and it's even more changeable with the chaotic pattern of weather everywhere. I have put together a rough guide of things you might want to pack and the file will be available to Retreat participants after booking.
Passport Requirements, Currency and Copies
Scotland uses UK Sterling currency. While you can use English bank notes in Scotland, some places in England will not accept Scottish banknotes - yes this is confusing as it is all the same Sterling currency. Please research the best option for you.
If you are traveling Internationally to the UK you are required to have an up-to-date passport with more than six months valid. I suggest making a copy of your travel documents - an extra copy of travels details, color photocopy of passport and a copy of travel insurance.
What if I'm Booked up and then Need to Cancel? What if the Retreat Gets Cancelled?
You will find full details of our Cancellation Policy, which outlines cancellations made by both participants and the Retreat Organiser, plus our Refund and Transfer Policies on the Retreat Agreement Form.
What is the Retreat Agreement Form
The Retreat Agreement Form contains all the Retreat terms and conditions and waiver form. You will be required to read and sign this form as part of the booking process.
How Many Women Will be Attending the Retreat?
The Retreat is open to 10 women plus the Retreat Organiser, 11 women in total. The Retreat requires five women to be booked up in order for the Retreat to go ahead.
Internet Access and Electronic Devices
Glebe Barn has wi-fi but you won't get cell phone reception when you're out walking around the island. Make sure to bring a US or European to UK adapter for your device - the power in the UK is 230 v / 50 Hz.
You are required to have travel insurance for this trip. You may also wish to add on luggage insurance. Travel insurance covers you if in the rare event you may need medical assistance among other things depending on your policy.
Medical Assistance on Eigg
The Small Isles Medical Practice is available for temporary residents and visitors. In case of emergencies, the emergency services are contacted who will employ the coast guard helicopter if required.
But I Don't Have a Scottish Bone in My Body
While this retreat connects with the energies of the land in Scotland which I call the Ancestral Mothers and is created through a framework of Celtic and pre-Celtic belief by using the focus of female lineage it is open to every woman with any heritage. Without any form of cultural appropriation, we share stories in how we connect to our roots and in what ways we bring that inspiration into our lives to shape the forms of activism needed in our communities and the world. This way we can all have different heritage's but are working to the same goal of tapping into our roots for the strength to feed the work we do in this world.
Is There A Work/Trade Position
We are offering a work/trade position for one woman to run the kitchen. Please get in touch (via the contact page of this website) for more information if you are qualified for this position.
I Want to Go But Can't Afford It
If you don't have the funds to join the tour but passionately want to attend check out Crowdfunding! Friends and family and folks that come across your campaign might help support you on this journey. Check out crowdfunding platforms like GoFundMe and Indigogo
Where Can I Stay in Glasgow On Friday the ADD DATE?
Once registered you will be provided with a list of several accommodation options with varying price ranges for Glasgow accommodation.
What is Included In the Price of Your Retreat
- Seven nights accommodation at Glebe Barn on the Isle of Eigg
- Dinner on arrival day, breakfast, lunch and dinner each day and breakfast on our departing day
- Evening participation with local women's singing group (if schedules allow)
- Deep immersion in the sacred sites and myths of the island
- Time for personal reflection, for writing, reading or solitude - walking on the beach or lying in a field stargazing
- Creative rituals
- All art materials and tuition for doll making
- Optional postage of your doll to your home address
- Tour of a working croft and visit to a croft museum (if schedule allows)
- Personal care and attention to any issue or concerns from Jude pre-Retreat and during the Retreat
- An invitation to join a secret Facebook group exclusively for Retreat participants
- A recommended reading list as well as published articles from Jude as well as related websites
- Free Sisterhood of the Antlers year pass allowing access to all online courses for the year after you attend the retreat. Online courses such as the Introduction to the Cailleach, Weaving Brighid's Protection and the Ancestral Mothers Wheel of the Year course.
What Is Not Included in the Price of your Retreat
- International or European flights to Glasgow
- Glasgow Accommodation
- Travel Insurance (which is required)
- All travel to the Isle of Eigg (train and ferry journeys)
- Optional taxi rides on Eigg
- Any meals or drinks other than the meals listed
- Medical treatment
Please get in touch if you have any other questions